Where My Love For Writing & Thinking Meet

So… Umm.. What Happened?
October 12, 2016, 2:58 am
Filed under: Uncategorized

Be warned: I get a very strong feeling I will not be following the prompt for this week.

After reading this week’s reading, We Love You, Charlie Freeman by Kaitlyn Greenidge, I had an insane migraine. I couldn’t tell if the book was responsible for this or the Napoleon cake I consumed from Martha’s earlier in the day.  Now you’re probably wondering why the book would give me a migraine. Well it’s quite simple honestly, and I hope I’m not the only one that felt this way, but there were so many moments where I was just perplexed or things didn’t seem to add up or make sense.

Getting into this book, I went in expecting to find some neuropsychology stuff. Evidently, it’s there in the experiment that’s been conducted on the Freeman family. But as I got into the book, I lost that lens. This book then became about racism. It became a book about sexuality. It became so much more than I went in expecting, and that’s not a bad thing. A book can embody more than one genre, and I think that makes it special. However, I don’t know how I feel about this book. I feel like, if I’m being honest, it is a book that doesn’t embody all these themes well.

I say this because it reminds me a lot of the Hunger Games series. I am drawing this comparison for two reasons. One being that I felt like this book, much like the series, is inconsistent. For example, a particular scene has so much detail and then the following is so vague. And sometime the character that the book is divided by doesn’t even change, so this really puzzles me. For instance, Adia and Charlotte stop talking after the Thanksgiving dinner. Adia doesn’t speak to her for what feels like a long period of time, and then all of a sudden, they’re by each other’s’ sides again. WHAT REALLY HAPPENED? I mean the reader can imagine and draw the lines, but the book constantly goes from vague to descriptive and that is annoying. Lastly- this reminds me of the Hunger Games because with that series, I felt like the author rushed the ending. I felt like this was the case with Greenidge’s novel as well because by the end I was just like

Image result for wait what gif

I agree! I felt like Greenidge left a lot of information out and I’m not sure if it’s done purposely or because she rushed it. Like Thinks…, we get to see the perspective of different characters although narrations may differ. Instead of two different characters as chapters, we are given many and I believe that that decision can confuse the audience. Chani points out in her post that Laurel is one of the most important characters yet she plays a smaller role than the other Freeman’s. I think Charlie not being human, or a hominoid as Callie puts it, is relevant and fits into the web of race and sexuality – how we look at other species.

But I agree that Greenidge could’ve added some more fuel to this novel rather than abruptly ending it.

Brandon Hernandez 10.12.16 @ 4:23 am

I agree. I felt as though many aspects of the novel deserved more attention. I mean the character of Nymphadora is left extremely vague at the end, we don’t really get to know what happens to her after the experiments! The same goes for Dr. Gardner. Greenidge, at least in my opinion introduces us to these intense situations, and doesn’t do an amazing job at fully giving the character depth! Also, when dealing with such an intense subject such as sexuality, explicating Charlotte’s feelings about this aspect of her process of identity formation is essential! I’m wondering what the reason is for Greenidge framing the book in this way, I am sure she is aware of these omissions and the vague aspects of the novel, so I am wondering whether or not this was done purposefully?

Krystal Dillon 10.18.16 @ 4:23 pm

I agree but I also disagree, shocker. I think that the book does get vague sometimes, but it does so for a good reason. Things were left unexplained and open ended because I think thats how life really is. I love books and movies and things that don’t have a typical ending..which is why inception is one of my favorite movies. I also think that it leaves room for the reader to insert their own life and experiences into the book to draw their own conclusions. I also found sort of an answer I want to say? as to omissions. So I think many times it doesn’t dawn on us that publishers often rip your work apart and put in and take out things they don’t see working well, especially in fiction. I’m not saying this is the main reason in omissions certainly could have nothing to do with anything, but it’s just something to keep in mind.

tracy 11.01.16 @ 12:22 am

I really liked your comparison to the hUnger Games! it was interesting. I do agree with you, that I do not think it emodies the topic of neuropsychology well or at least it was difficult to simply read in that lens because of the strong feelings the book brings out in general.

Radheeka Sharma 11.13.16 @ 1:05 am