Where My Love For Writing & Thinking Meet

Here’s To Researching Something Passionately With Genuine Interest
November 24, 2016, 8:49 am
Filed under: Uncategorized

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon are novels that illustrate the lives of people living with disabilities. Mark Haddon’s protagonist, Christopher John Francis Boone, displays insight to how one’s mind functions when diagnosed with autism on the spectrum. One of the main characters in Moyes’s text deals with a different kind of disability. Will Traynor’s life was turned upside down when he became paralyzed (physically disabled). As a quadriplegic man, Will decided life was no longer worth living and turned to assisted suicide. Both works project negativity on disability and raise question to the responsibility of the author when their writing impacts such a large population. Does genre play a role to whether or not they should be held accountable? Should the authors consider how their creative rhetoric may affect diagnosed individuals?

Moving towards the research process of this paper, I anticipate on finding several sources that speak to the frustration of how credible and accountable an author should be. I also look forward to reading reviews from individuals who are diagnosed with these disabilities to see their input. Furthermore, I would like to look into scholarly secondary sources that discuss how realistic fiction and mystery influence the role of the author and the reader- where do we draw the line? And does that vary from genre to genre? I hope to find some insight myself throughout the sources I find.

Having read these novels, I know the account of the behaviors that the characters display is very limiting. I also know that disability can sometimes be a sensitive subject for some, but to turn an eye or not acknowledge what the work is doing here, can (and has) harm the lives of those living with such a reality. Doing my paper on this not only gives me an opportunity to become more educated on how words can really impact someone, but also allows me to get involved in a complicated conversation that several scholars are already having. It is important to consider what texts like Me Before You and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time do outside their realms.

Side Note: I almost titled this “The Next Great Paper”

Also as of now I’m working with motives 1 & 2 (but that could totally change)

Hi Zainab! I remember we briefly talked about your thoughts on this papers last class and I found it to be a very interesting and important topic. I haven’t read the book Me Before You, but I have seen the movie. Of course it’s not exactly the same but I think I have a clear understanding of the general idea. Assisted suicide is something that many people might not have as much knowledge on so I think looking into that could help you know more about it and how it works exactly. Who can do it? Where is it legal? General information could help you also get a grasp of how it has become a means to escape an undesired disability along with the consequences it could have on a certain group of people. Also jumping off that, how this can affect the stereotype that people with disabilities can’t live a normal life. I remember that The Curious Incident was also turned into a play, there might be something in investigating how language is transformed in different forms. Do the different forms make it easier or harder for the reader or audience to draw the line between fiction and reality? Your topic could go in many directions. I think looking more into secondary sources could help you organize your thoughts more and bring to light some ideas that you want to challenge now that you have your two primary sources available.

Yazmin Estrada 11.27.16 @ 8:33 pm